Monday, May 26, 2008

Reputation needing a Defender?


The Internet, or as some of us like to call it, the Intertron, is an interesting environment chock full of nuts. Not just macadamia and almond, but all varieties. You know what I mean.

I was browsing a lot of very highly regarded SEO sites the other day. They were sites that are respected and well-known in the search engine community. Most of these sites are featuring leaders in the field. That sort of thing. You have to know that they are good.

You see, search engine optimization and realistic performance are something that have always been of interest to me. But now, I have had recent experiences that have made me interested in the wider subject of identity protection.

I recently lost my wallet while i was down enjoying Galaga t the mall in the arcade. I guess I got a little too animated in either that game of Pac-man, and I was gyrating around wildly. It happens to me sometimes, I get out there. I was imagining I was riding a horse in the woods, by a beach. Man, it was sweet.

Anyway, I found out my wallet was gone when the police called me. They were down at Pac-Sun with it; apparently a kid had been confronted with passing it off as his own and had run out when they didn't print a receipt out right away.

Well, after I got my license back I went and looked at identity theft firms on the ol' Intertron. The first one I found was this company, ReputationDefender (I think they're the same firm as "Reputation Defender" -- there appears to be a European arm?), and they seem pretty legit. I notice a lot of good press about them, and the usual group of detractors, as well. From what I can gather, ReputationDefender (or Reputation Defender, if you prefer) is a pretty good service. For a pretty nominal fee they go on the 'net and root out all your information from the dark little corners. Seems worthwhile to me.

Of course, I could do a lot of this myself, or at least the non-technical portions, but I could also slaughter my own cows for beef steak. But that's not gonna happen!

No comments: